I've had a fun morning baking, successfully, some tasty coffee cake. I say successfully because I made an apple crumb cake that some would call an utter failure, others would call an apple pudding cake due to its pudding like consistency. Welp, here is the much more texturally appropriate coffee cake.
Feel free to sub any fruit on top. Just be aware if you use a very wet fruit, it will change the rise in the top of your cake.
Gluten Free Plum Cake with Cardamom Glaze
Adapted from Katie's Good Life Eats recipe
Ingredients for the Cake
- 4 small/medium Plums
- 1 1/4 cup Hazelnut Flour
- 1/4 cup Teff Flour
- 1/4 cup All Purpose GF Flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- 1/8 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/4 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened or Homemade Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup Unfiltered Apple Cider
- 2 Pasture Raised Chicken Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or the Scrapings of 1/2 Vanilla Bean
Ingredients for the Glaze
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 cup Organic Powder Sugar
- 1 Tbs Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Grease a shallow baking pan (8x8) with butter or coconut oil and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together until evenly combined
- In a separate container, whisk together the liquid ingredients
- Add the wet to the dry until evenly mixed and pour into greased baking dish
- Scatter the chopped plums over top and bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow to THOROUGHLY cool before removing from pan - it should come out easily
- As the cake cools, whisk together the powder sugar and cardamom adding the almond milk slowly until a thick but pourable texture is reached. Add more almond milk if necessary
- Drizzle glaze over top and enjoy with some tea!