Monday, November 19, 2012

The Dessert Workshop

Yesterday evening I hosted a dessert workshop.  My goal was to teach people how to make tasty but healthy desserts.  They were vegan and ended up mostly being raw.  It's kind of funny how you can plan something, just like when you're teaching yoga, and everything changes!  Well, EVERYTHING didn't change. I also tried selling my Creamy Italian (Raw Vegan) Kale Chips and 8oz jars of my Raw Almond Cashew Coconut butter.

I stuck with the basic outline I had set:
Little Desserts-
Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Bites
Single Bite Date Pies

Classic Favorite-
Raw Vegan Banana Cream Pie
Pumpkin Pie (didn't end up demoing this again, just gave out taste tests)

New Idea:
Chocolate Truffle Pie

I was browsing Pinterest, as I do sometimes, and saw a picture of a very not-vegan chocolate truffle pie.  I looked at it.  It looked at me.  We eyed each other up and down.  I'll admit, I was doing more of the objectifying.  "Yes" I said, "You will be the star of my workshop."  And so it was.

Isn't it beautiful!  I actually created the theory for the pie in advance, but had not tested it out before hand.  This was a live experiment.  It worked!

Crust
1/2 cup unsweetened raw coconut flour
1/3 cup raw almond flour
1/4 cup raw cashew
1/4 cup unsweetened raw shredded coconut
Optional add ins of sea salt, vanilla, and spices

Instructions
1. Put all ingredients into a blender and pulse until incorporated
2. Pat into a pie tin
3. Refrigerate

Filling - Layer 1
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
5-8 soaked dates (adjust to sweetness preference)

Instructions
1. Put all ingredients into a high powdered blender
2. Use the tamper to press into the blades so that a smooth consistency is created
3. A slight amount of water or non-dairy milk can be added to allow for better processing
4. Spread mixture onto crust and place in fridge to set, or freezer for faster setting

Filling - Layer 2
2 Ripe avocados
1/4-1/3 cup raw cocoa powder (depending how bitter or dark you want it)
1 Tsp vanilla extract
10-15 soaked dates (taste and see how sweet you want it)

Instructions
1. Blend until smooth
2. Add liquid if you want more ease of blending or a lighter consistency
3. spread on top of 1st layer
4. Refrigerate

Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can full fat coconut milk flipped upside down and refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
2-3 Tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
1. Open the coconut milk and drain the water - the cream should be on the bottom now
3. Whip the cream and the other ingredients with an electric mixer or a whisk until fluffy and incorporated
4. Spread on top of pie
5. Share with friends!



No comments: