Saturday, August 6, 2011

Crutches

I have to say that my time forced to "chill" has been much better than I thought it was going to be.  I remember my time n Switzerland when I was stuck with a broken ankle in my dorm with nothing to do.  I got rather down for a long time, and just watched TV shows a lot.  It was such a horrible time period.  That is what I thought this time would be like.  It is not at all!  I don't know if it is just because I am in a better place mentally, or I have people (my wonderful family) surrounding me, or if I have more productive distractions.  Life is feeling pretty good.

The hardest part for me is admitting that I need an extra set of hands to help me.  I want to be able to do it all by myself, but I know I can't and even if I try to I generally fail or increase the likelihood of falling over and hurting myself.  Looking back (reflection time!) I was a girl who wanted to be strong and independent in an almost isolating way.  I am so very glad that I have learned over the years, and even more through this experience, that it is good for people to help each other, that I enjoy helping others, and people will help me if I need it.  It is not shameful to ask for an extra hand, or just to help make life a bit easier.  I love the people around me who have been helping me while I've been physically weak, and it acts as a reminder that they will be there for me when I am emotionally or situationally in need too.

Yay love and friends, and communal help!

1 comment:

Christine (The Raw Project) said...

Glad your down time is going well and you have family around. I remember how frustrating it was when I broke my arm mountain biking, I'm the type that likes to do everything too. :-)