Sunday, October 3, 2010

Settling In

It has now been a few days since I arrived.  I have since had 2 interviews and a total of 4 applications.  The day after landing, it was an interview at Aloft with the F&B department, of which did not feel like it went perfectly, though I am not sure why.  I think my jet lag and general "just landed" feeling was the cause.  Today I interviewed with the Officers Club, which is a 5 star mostly for military officers, but also some for the public.  It went very well, though a short interview.  They offered me a position at the front desk, which is very good.  It would certainly be a good experience.  It will give me something to jump off from for sure.  I also applied to Shangri-La and Hyatt.  We shall see what happens.

On the 1st of October, it was my 1 year anniversary with Alan, so we went or tea at the Emirates Palace, which was so nice.  It is quite the luxurious place!  Everything had gold shavings on it, even my strawberry tart!  They are also the only place with a gold bar vending machine!  We watch some people use it. After that we went to Le Royal Meridian for dinner.  It has a revolving restaurant at the top, which I had never experienced before.  It was a really nice restaurant for sure.  The main course was lacking in any flavor.  Overall a great day though.

We also took a trip to Ikea at Marina Mall for some shelves and things for my clothes.  I am not sure if it is my clothes not being conservative enough, or me just being this white American girl, but people stare a lot!  I feel so awkward.  I thought I packed my conservative clothes too!  Goes to show I guess.  I'm not liking the staring thing one bit.  I just don't know how to deal with it.  I'm looking, once I make some money, to buy some looser more conservative shirts.  And sweaters.  the AC is funny here.  They cater to fall fashions indoors for sure!  Which I'm happy with :)  After Ikea, we went to the large fruit and vegetable market and talked to the vendors and picked out some produce.  I would be eager to go back there and look around a bit more.  We were pretty quick about the whole thing, so I feel like there is more to be learned and different items to be found.  Next time, next time.

Once I get my computer connected tot he internet, I will begin uploading pictures.  I promise!!!

No comments: