Wednesday, September 3, 2008

CDV News

Friday's Special is going pretty well.  I have made two batches of falafel, and both have been successful.  I need to add more garlic and more salt though.  They were big hits with the people I had try them.  The first batch went to random guests who liked falafel, and one who had never had it before (he loved it).  The second, slightly modified batch was put in a tortilla (I'm still waiting on the shipment of pitas), with the Tahini dressing, tomatoes, and lettuce.  They loved it!!  Albert added ham, sort of contradictory to an arabic dish, but he enjoyed the sandwhich more, which is the important part.  My attempts at the Tahini resulted in a thick paste instead of a light watery one.  I put lemon juice in it and that reacted with the Tahini and made it thick, but it doesn't taste as good without the lemon.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I then tried to make hummus.  This was a very frustrating exeriment.  I've made it at home before, no problem.  I boiled the soaked chickpeas, but they stayed hard, even though they were boiled for about 45 minutes.  I had issues with the blender so I just used the food processor.  It was also way to thick.  After adding too much oil, lemon jiuce, garlic, and plenty of water, it started getting to the right consistency.  It still doesn't taste quite right, and it is too oily.  I may just water it down more and use it as the Tahini dressing for the Falafel instead of trying to make hummus.  That can be my next "special" or something.  I don't need a whole menu, just one special.

I will be staying in CDV for the whole semester.  It is all done and decided.  I'm actually quite happy with the result.  I get to do plenty of experimenting, and I get paid more.

No comments: