Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Real Meal Oatmeal

Who loves breakfast?  I love breakfast!  Yum yum!  When I don't have work, or I wake up far in advance of going to work, I love spending some quality time with my breakfast making.  The winter beckons oatmeal to my mouth, so I make OATMEAL!

Ugh, boring oatmeal!  That's what you make when you go camping and it feels and tastes like lumpy glue.....bad memories.  Pah!  This stuff is what I call "gourmet oatmeal" and it's what I made for my sister and her mom in Phoenix often.  I liked to pair it with a green smoothie to get some veggies in in the morning, and made it as low sugar as possible.

These recipes will change the way you think about oatmeal.  Dress it up in a parfait glass and your eyes, mouth, and belly, will be dancing around together like reunited girlfriends, screaming and waving their arms up and down.  So go for it.


2. Real Meal Oatmeal (Brands: Any non flavored oatmeal)
Follow cooking instructions on container (different for different kinds of oatmeal. I like steel cut, certified GF for Lyme disease patients or people with Gluten issues)
Cook with a pinch of high quality sea salt (I like Pink Himalayan), 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 tsp cinnamon
Fun options to add to this foundation after it is finished cooking (geared toward 1 large or 2 moderate servings):


Apple Pie Oatmeal
  • ½ chopped apple (add at the start of cooking for a sweeter flavor)
  • ½ Tbs cinnamon
  • 1 Heaping Tbs almond butter (more neutral taste than PB)
  • 1 Heaping Tbs milled flax seeds
  • 1 Modest Tbs honey, maple syrup, agave, or 1 tsp Stevia (add more Stevia if needed)
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil, Earth Balance, or high quality butter mixed in at the end
  • Serve and top with some freshly chopped apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon



Coconut Cream Pie Oatmeal

  • 1 tsp added vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ½ mashed banana
  • ½ Tbs cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 Tbs milled flax seeds
  • 1 Tbs almond butter
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • Serve and top with coconut milk/cream and a sprinkle of coconut flakes and cinnamon

No comments: